Mornings can be hectic, and starting your day with a breakfast that is both healthy and filling is always a challenge. Enter overnight oats- You can mix up a big batch on Sunday, and then breakfast is ready to go every morning. Better yet, they are endlessly customizable and can be switched up daily depending on what you are craving.
Let me tell you a little bit about how these ingredients are good for you:
- Rolled Oats: Oats are packed with dietary fiber which fill you up and help with healthy digestion. Oats can also lower your risk of heart disease, colon cancer, coronary artery disease and can help lower cholesterol.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are a fantastic source of Omega-3 fatty acids which help to raise your HDL (the good type of cholesterol!) They are also chock full of antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, zinc, iron and calcium.
- Almond Butter: Just two ounces of almonds daily provide 25% of recommended protein needs. Eating almond can also decrease rates of cancer, and contribute to living a longer and healthier life.
- Yogurt: Yogurt provides probiotics- bacteria that are healthy for your stomach and digestive health. Yogurt is also a great source of protein and may help to aid in weight loss.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups rolled oats
Toppings- choose your own adventure:
- Almond Butter
- Fresh berries
- Toasted coconut
- Chocolate chips
- Toasted nuts
To a large bowl add milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and honey and stir with a spoon to combine. Taste and add more honey if desired, and a pinch of salt if needed. Add oats and stir a few more times, then press down with a spoon to ensure all oats have been moistened and are immersed in milk. Cover bowl and set in the refrigerator for an hour or two. at this point you can adjust the consistency to your liking. Add a bit more milk if you want it thinner, a bit more chia seeds or oats if you want it thicker. Don’t worry if the oats are still a bit chewy at this point, they will continue to soften as they sit.
Layer single serving containers with 2 tablespoons almond butter, 1 cup chia oat pudding, and top with fruit, jam granola… whatever you like! Pop in the refrigerator and enjoy all week long.
My favorite combos:
- grilled pineapple, coconut chips + toasted almonds
- peach jam + pecan granola
- blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
- strawberries and kiwi + chocolate granola